A well-established Independent Wealth Manager is looking for an experienced Portfolio Manager for their US Family Office Division.
The US Family Office provides specialist investment services for Americans in the UK and are both SEC (US) and FCA (UK) regulated, making them uniquely positioned to assist global US families with their wealth planning, investment management and compliance reporting across all of their assets.
The role of Portfolio Manager will sit within the US Family Office and play an important role in managing the asset allocation of client portfolios in line with agreed risk profiles and investment mandates. As well as managing client’s investments they will have an important role in talking to and building relationships with client’s to ensure they are effective in communicating house views and discussing their individual investment portfolio performance.
Given the nature of the client base and the overseas tax implications, offshore client experience would be of great value, although there is the opportunity to upskill within the job and become expert in the sector.
This role will suit someone with:
- 5 years or more experience in financial services – preferably in Wealth Management with experience of investing in direct line securities for all major asset classes.
- Ideally, experience of investing/managing portfolios on behalf of US linked clients
- CFA level 1
- Experience of mentoring junior members of staff
- Exceptional communication skills at all levels with the ability to manage relationships both internally and externally
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision-making.
- High integrity and openness combined with commitment to good governance.
- Energetic, highly motivated, with an enquiring mind and passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
Role duties and responsibilities
- Responsible for the management of a book of client investment portfolios
- Communicating portfolio performance and house views with clients through regular meetings, telephone calls and emails
- Responding to ad hoc queries from clients
- Conduct regular client portfolio reviews to ensure asset allocations are in line with the agreed risk profile and investment mandate
- Produce holding reports to analyse where client portfolios are out of line and/or cash is available to be invested
- Communicate with paraplanners and advisors regarding investment strategy and implementation for new clients
- Communicate with tax team and production of realised & unrealised capital gains tax reports to ensure that client tax positions are taken into account when rebalancing portfolios and raising cash for withdrawals and fees
- Management of stray assets within client portfolios and across client book
- Ensure that client portfolios are meeting target returns and/or generating agreed income levels
- Manage cash and foreign exchange balances to ensure sufficient liquidity for regular withdrawals and fees
- Providing assistant and associate portfolio managers with trade execution instructions
- Up to date knowledge of house views
- Reviewing of individual and team mailboxes
- Production of client meeting and call notes
- Ensuring audit trail is logged for client communication within CRM system
- Population of weekly MI reports
- Conduct of due diligence on portfolio holdings where required
- Assisting in the production of bespoke reporting for clients
- Raising APX static data and reconciliation errors to assistant and associate portfolio managers for rectification
- Undertaking regulated investment exams
- Attending investment desk meetings and monthly updates
- Reading of investment research notes
- Staying up to date with market news
- Regularly seeking feedback from senior portfolio managers and advisors
- Coach, mentor and train assistant and associate portfolio managers
Key Internal/External interactions
- Clients, Trustees, Custodians
- Investment Desk, Tax & Paraplanner teams, Middle Office, Operations, Finance,
- Completed Investment Management Certificate exams (IMC)
- Completed Chartered Financial Analyst Level 1 exam (CFA 1)
- Working towards the completion of Chartered Financial Analyst level 2 & 3 exams
Salary: Expectations are for a basic of £60,000 to £80,000 plus bonus but based on experience.
If you would like to find out more please e-mail email@example.com
(Due to the high level of interest in this role, it will not be possible to respond to all applications.)